11 May 2011

Homemade washai tape mini tutorial

Good morning. Today I have a mini tutorial to share with you. Have you seen the washai tape that is so popular right now? It comes in every pattern and color imaginable but I don't need or want 10 yards of one pattern so I figured I would try to make my own. I added this to my main Counterfeit kit and hope to use it soon. So let's get started.

It is super simple. You will need either paper tape, I got mine in the health/injury portion of Dollar Tree, or masking tape will work too. The paper tape is more translucent while the masking tape will be darker and hold more color. It is your preference. You will also need various inks, stamps of your choosing and a surface to work on. My surface is from a two pack of bendable Teflon cutting mats from the kitchen section of the Dollar Tree. Trust me these ROCK, nothing sticks to it and you can use it for gluing, glittering, etc. They bend so when you are done with flocking, glittering or other messy crafts you can simply bend and pour the remaining stuff back into the container.

OK for the first step you will measure out the desired length you wish and place sticky side down on your non stick surface. I placed mine on the cutting mats I described above.


Now here is the fun (and messy) part. Pull out those inks and stamps and go to town. We all know that I love brown and polka dots so I did some like that with chalk ink (which gives it a soft look). While Stazon-on was used for the top damask red/black one, as you see it is a bit more vibrant. I was also excited since I was FINALLY able to use a bunch of those dollar stamps we all have to have. I also did some faux stitching with white pen and created some stripes that I am always in need of. The only limit is your imagination.
Now here are some tips I learned:
  • Make sure the paper tape/masking tape is flat otherwise you will get the crease as I did in the second one.
  • Masking tape is an option if you do not want your background card stock to show through.
  • You can EASILY crinkle, pleat the paper tape, but make sure you DOUBLE the length at least.
  • For storing the finished homemade washai tape, I found it best to keep it on the non stick surface until ready for it, as this prevents it from sticking to everything else or creasing.

Easy peasy. I hope you enjoyed this and will try it. Please link me up if you do! I will be showing you a creation I made with these later on this month, so make sure to come back for that!

14 comments:

  1. Your tapes are awesome!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - you've given me a couple of good ideas today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks easy and fun. I have a ton of stamps I never use. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea, I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This rocks! I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like fun. I will have to try this. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your tape! I'm definitely giving these a try. I love handmade embellies. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ROCK!!! Thanks for this tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I have lots of the tape at work for free!!! I will be grabbing some tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just found this - great tutorial - I'd love to have a go at this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some love, it really makes my day!